Monday, August 23, 2010

A Reflection on Mans Role and Rituals

Focusing on rituals is an important spiritual consideration. I am reminded of my foyer where my sons walk in and take off their shoes. Being young, they tend to kick off their shoes only because they will be dunned by their old man if they do not. Thus, they enter and kick off their shoes. Being frivolous boys, however, their shoes land where-ever they land once pulled off, toe to heel as they rush by the transom.

Several times a day, I have occasion to re-enter our home and as I remove and assemble my shoes on the mat, I pick up their carelessly discarded foot coverings and place them, left and right, on the snow mat in the front hall. This, for me, is a ritual that affirms my place in the family. I must say that my ritual pales in comparison to a commitment to facing Mecca five times a day, genuflecting to God and praising His sacred name.

I suspect that somewhere between a constant vigilance to the Kaaba and the periodic assembling of my sons shoes is the place where God lives.

Just a very late night thought :)

No comments:

Post a Comment